Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The umpire who lived for cricket ... forever



Tribute

By Paritosh Pramanik

ON JANUARY 5, 2011, Ganpati Dattatray Bapat had flicked the bails for one last time to call ‘stumps’ in the Guzder Institutional League encounter at the Vayusena Nagar cricket ground. Ten months later the glorious innings of his life has ended. Bapat passed away on November 7 after a prolonged illness. He was admitted to Getwell hospital a few days back.
Born on September 15, 1931, Bapat Sir, for every cricketer in this city, breathed his last on Monday morning at the age of 81.
Not only umpiring, Bapat sir was also a renowned curator of Vidarbha Cricket Association. He prepared the strip from 1970 to 1983. The great ‘young’ old man, after standing in the middle for untold hours, retired after officiating in a Guzder match early this year, at the age of 79. Not because he had got drained out or had got exhausted after officiating for so many years but he had bowed to the loving demands from his family, who cared for him and wanted him not to overstress.
Though looking frail, he was full with zeal. During the inter-press cricket matches of SJAN he was a regular; for many years as the man in the white coat and then as a pure lover of cricket. He would settle on a bench near the fence and get engrossed in the action on the field. His eyes were sharp as ever. “What a beautiful shot,” Bapat Sir would exclaim after a cracking whack. “Standing on the green grass field for years helped me keep my vision clear. I still don’t wear spectacles,” he had said.
Bapat Sir had said his family’s request forced him to retire from umpiring. “I never wanted to retire. I have it in me to stand in the middle for a full day. Yes, the reflexes have gone slow with age but I can still officiate matches. My family members requested me not to exert so much at this age. I remain out of the house for whole day and they get worried. So I decided to quit, though unwillingly,” Bapat sir had revealed then.“They (family members) are right. I am 80 years now. And am not getting any younger,” the smile never waned.
Giving more time to cricket than to his family, the veteran umpire, who had officiated in more than 1000 junior games and around 35 Ranji Trophy matches, had said it was not easy to stay at home after retirement.
“The day after I officiated my last game (Jan 5, 2011), I was very restless. It was for the first time in 50 years I spent time at home. It was an awkward feeling but, as days passed I started getting used to it”.Even after retirement as official Bapat sir used to go to Vidarbha Cricket Association to coach the budding umpires. He also used to spend at least two hours on the ground daily.
It’s stumps for Bapat Sir. This one decision is direct from the Third Umpire sitting up there. Unfortunately it cannot be overruled.
May his soul rest in peace!

No comments: