Wednesday, October 10, 2012

He dribbled past death

Yerawar is back on hockey field after life threatening accident

By Paritosh Pramanik
NAGPUR, Oct 7, 2012
APART from their Sikh origin there is one more thing common with Jugraj Singh, Sandeep Singh, and Baljeet Singh. All these Indian hockey stars have defeated death after freak accidents and returned to the field. Though this hockey player from Vidarbha is not in the same category, he definitely shares the same league. He too has seen death but survived to tell the tale.
Ananta Yerawar, a 21-year-old hockey player from Brahmapuri, has seen death from close quarters. He defeated it to be back on the hockey field.
Yerawar, lynchpin of Brahmapuri Taluka Hockey Association, defied all odds and proved that if one has willpower, then one can overcome any challenge.
Those who had seen Yerawar on that frightful November night last year — lying on hospital bed with bloodied face, broken jaw, and internal injuries — would have never thought that he will be back on hockey field in less than a year.
Yerawar met with this life-threatening accident when his bike slipped and he, along with his friend, crashed into an iron dustbin in his hometown Brahmapuri.
“It was November 19 last year, eight days after I celebrated my 21st birthday. I was returning with my team-mate Vinod Pradhan after closing my shop in Khristanand square when my bike slipped and rammed into an iron dustbin lying at the corner of the road. My friend died on the spot (he came to know that a month later). And I was in coma,” Yerawar told ‘The Hitavada’ after his team Tukaramdas Mahavidyalaya’s win in RTMNU’s inter-college tournament at Dr Ambedkar College ground.
The midfielder, who also played for Dr Ambedkar College in 2010 (studied B.com I), was immediately rushed to KRIMS Hospital the same night. “For a few days I was in coma. My jaw was completely broken. I couldn’t eat and drink. It was very painful,” recalled Yerawar.
“I was in hospital for 15 days. My four broken teeth were fixed again. Then I went to Hyderabad for a jaw surgery. Slowly, I started gaining strength,” Yerawar added.
On the hospital bed Yerawar was fighting a distressing mental battle. “I used to think whether I would be able to play hockey again. Many times I got depressed. But I kept on motivating myself that one day everything would be fine.
“A player has to be a fighter, be it on the field or off it…and I was no different. I never let my emotions take control over my body. My parents, specially my mother (Jyoti), supported me a lot. She gave me the courage. It’s because of her that I am back on the field today,” he said.
The return to field took some time. “It’s been just four months I have started playing.”
An internal knee injury was very painful. Doctors advised him physiotherapy and meditation. He also started yoga.
During recovery Yerawar’s mind was always on hockey. “There was a state-level tournament in Brahmapuri. My brother used to take me to the ground. There my friends motivated me. ‘The midfield is still vacant. We want you back,’ they said. Those words motivated me,” said Yerawar, who has played three school nationals and represented Vidarbha in Under-14, U-16, U-19 and U-21 categories.
After a dedicated rehab, Yerawar picked the stick in May this year. Here, in this meet, he used all his experience to score four goals against the mighty Hislop.
The jaw operation has left a scar on his face but Yerawar is not bothered. “I will be going to Bhilai for plastic surgery. Everything will be fine,” Yerawar signed off.
He has conquered death but there are several on-field wars yet to be won.

No comments: