Monday, February 16, 2015

Rajnandgaon lad Choubey helps Odisha win silver medal in hockey

By Paritosh Pramanik
Nagpur, Feb 14

HIS state hockey team, Chhattisgarh, failed to qualify for the National Games but Rajnandgaon-born Mrinal Choubey got the opportunity to represent Odisha in the tournament. And he did not disappoint them as he helped Odisha finish as the second best in the meet at Kerala. Former Junior India goal-keeper Choubey stood rock solid under the bars in the semi-finals to take Odisha hockey team into the final. They were unlucky in the final against mighty Services as they lost the match comprehensively but in the earlier matches, Choubey showed his mettle to earn applause from one and all. The silver medal at National Games was Choubey’s second medal in short span
after he had helped his employer Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) finish second in the Hockey India’s senior nationals a few months back. ‘I am happy with my team’s performance,’ said Choubey while talking with ‘The Hitavada’ from Kerala.
“We played really well in entire tournament. But we were not lucky in the final,” said the goal-keeper. Odisha defeated Uttar Pradesh, lost to Jharkhand, defeated hosts Kerala to move into the semi-finals. In the semi-final, Choubey saved several penalty shootouts to help his side win the match over Haryana in sudden death.
“That was my day (against Haryana). We had played well in entire tournament and all the boys wanted to play the final. We all were charged up. I managed to save a few in the tie-breaker and also in sudden death which helped us in moving into the final,” said Choubey, who first shot into limelight on hockey field at Nagpur in 2006 when he represented Central Railway Nagpur team. The young lad had helped Central Railway Nagpur beat Central Railway Headquarters to win the Inter-Railway title.
Talking about his chances in playing Hockey India League, Choubey, who was part of Junior Asia Cup gold winning Indian team in 2006, seemed hopeful that his day would come sooner than later. 
‘Now I have two silver medals to show in short time. I am hopeful that my performance would be noticed by coaches and team owners in future. I am confident if I continue to play well I would be in one of the teams in coming season,’ said Choubey, a junior India world cupper.
‘A B Subbaiah Sir (former India goalkeeper) is encouraging me and he is aware about my performance. He too said that my time would come when I would don one of the HIL teams’ jersey,’ Choubey concluded.

No comments: