Tuesday, July 28, 2015

‘Lucky’ and plucky Ankit pedals his way to Khardungla top

 By Paritosh Pramanik
Julu 25, 2015
HE IS only 20 but what Ankit Rajesh Bihari did is hardly attempted by those much older to his age. Ankit, fondly called ‘Lucky’, attempted an unimaginable, difficult, tiresome, fearful, adventurous and enterprising trek and reached the highest peak in a memorable 10 days journey.
The lanky BBA final year student of Tirpude College, pedaled all the way from Manali to Khardungla top in an absorbing, frightening 10 days sojourn to become the first cyclist from Vidarbha to do so.
It was not an easy cycling trek for the son of Rajesh Bihari, who is a South East Central Railway employee and a former hockey player. The senior Bihari was never afraid of challenges on hockey field. His son, Ankit followed his father’s footstep, though in different field, to scale ‘a much greater height’.
Ankit, who is a member of Saddle-ups Cycling Group, decided to scale the ‘Everest’ by cycling up to Khardungla pass, the highest motorable road in the world at 18,380 ft.
Ankit was truly ‘lucky’ in this life threatening cycling sojourn as this was for the first time he took the expedition.
“Mohit Kapur from Jaipur was my partner for this expedition but he had to leave mid-way as he could not withstand the low oxygen pressure,” Ankit told ‘The Hitavada.’
With Mohit leaving the excursion midway, Ankit was all alone without shelter, food and water. Fighting bouts of nervousness, he decided to complete the task on his own.
“We completed our excursion together till Darcha but Mohit’s health worsened. We took one night halt at Darcha and started our journey next morning. Mohit was riding at a slow pace and I left him far behind. Some travellers informed me that Mohit had blood in his vomit and he is laying on the road. I returned and took help from army jawans. I told him to meet me at Sarchu check post.
“But when I reached Sarchu he was not there. Later, I met him at Pang. He was returning home. I came to know that he was admitted in ICU by Army men as his oxygen level was too low. After staying at hospital for two days, Mohit decided to return to Manali,” recalled Ankit.
“I had given my tent and ration to Mohit and had nothing left with me. I met two more cyclists who, too, were going to Khardungla. I shared their tents and food. But losing a partner was a big blow for my confidence,” Ankit recalled.
In fact, Ankit said, the start itself was bad. “We did not get the best possible start. On July 4, the day we started, after a few kilometers, Mohit broke his cycle’s chain. We had to walk for over 5-6 kms to reach a village. Walking with all the luggage was too tiring. One of the travellers helped us and gave us chain of his cycle, with a promise that we would return it back (and we did return it),” said Ankit.
“Once we had to spend a night in the jungle. The night was frightening as there were fears of bears and snow leopards. But we managed and started early next morning,” he said.
But Ankit was determined to complete his expedition.
“For four days I had no contact with my parents. There was no mobile network. Finally, I contacted my parents through one of the army jawans’ phone. They were too worried. They requested me to return. But I was determined. I talked with them for just three minutes and convinced them to let me complete my task.”
During his 10-day journey from Manali to Khardungla which is over 600 kms, Ankit passed through Rohtang, Lachung La, Baralacha, Tang Lang La passes before reaching the peak.
Ankit’s journey to the top was delayed by one day as the road to Khardungla was closed due to heavy snow fall.
“On July 13, we came to know that there were landslides due to heavy snowfall and rains and we had to stay for a day at Leh. For the first time I witnessed landslides. It was more frustrating. I was almost there but could not complete my excursion,” said Ankit, who also played hockey for Vidarbha.
The next morning Ankit, with his new friends (Shahil and Virender from Punjab), started the last stretch. By 5 in the evening they finally reached Khardungla.
“It was like a dream come true. I could not explain how happy I was. It was like reaching to the top of the world. I visited Shiv Mandir at Khardungla top, stayed there for an hour and then returned to Leh at around 6 pm,” said Ankit.
“I am more happy because my excursion was injury free. I never felt the need of oxygen whereas there where people who carried oxygen cylinders and pumps. Above all, I completed this task alone despite having organisations who help you in reaching the peak. But I performed it all alone, that’s more satisfying,” Ankit concluded.

No comments: