Tuesday, February 14, 2017

On Cook’s tips, Max making own recipe


n By Paritosh Pramanik

MAX Holden, the Under-19 England captain, belongs to a family with a cricketing history. His father was a good club level cricketer though he could not make it to professional level. His grandfather, too, played cricket at a decent level. It was obvious that Max picked the nuances of the game from his family members.
Starting his cricketing sojourn at eight in his backyard garden in Cambridge, Max developed his game with strict work ethics which took him to a level from where he can now fulfill his childhood dream— wearing the Three Lions on his chest.
Max, a left-handed batsman, has grown up watching former England skipper Alastair Cook and wants to be like him.
Watching him bat at VCA’s Jamtha stadium, reminded one of his childhood hero, Cook, who had slammed a century on debut at Nagpur way back in 2006, at the Civil Lines ground.
Like Cook, Max, too, hit a century on his maiden visit to Nagpur, though in an age group game. He was unconquered on 135 after the first day of their ‘Test’ against India.
Max has a typical batting stance. During the seven-hour batting on Day One, Max, standing inside the crease with his wide spread legs, batted with a calm mind. His backlift, too, resembled the former England captain’s.
“I emulate Cook. He is a great batsman. I watched him playing since my childhood. He is an inspiration and I like the way he presents himself. I want to play for England like Cook did,” Holden said.
“But my batting stance is natural. I don’t try to copy anyone,” he added.
The U-19 captain got attracted more towards Cook after he had met him during a Level Course back in England. “I have met him on quite a few occasions during our Level Course back home. We had interacted on a few occasions. He gave various batting tips which I am still following,” revealed Holden.
It was a relieving moment for Max as he had not scored in the ODIs with 15 being his highest. After scoring a well-deserved unbeaten century he said, “It’s great to be among runs. My dream is to play for England and this century might take my case further in realising my dream.”

No comments: