Thursday, November 30, 2017

This ground has given me something now: Rohit



By Paritosh Pramanik
NAGPUR, Nov 27

IT WAS in 2010 when Rohit Sharma, about to make his debut here in Nagpur, twisted his ankle on the morning of the first Test against South Africa. That freak injury gave Wriddhiman Saha a chance to make his debut and Rohit had to wait for almost three years to don the India whites.
As if making up for that delayed arrival, Rohit chose to wipe the memory with a sparkling century at the same place. It was icing on the cake for a player who was just happy to be back in Tests after a wilderness of more than 500 days.
Speaking to the media after India crushed Sri Lanka, Rohit said finally the Jamtha stadium gave him something.
“Personally for me, it was very important as I was playing Test cricket after nearly 500 days. I have been waiting for this opportunity and I am glad that I could put some runs on the board for myself and team. I clearly remember this was the ground where I got injured and I had to wait three years to make my Test debut. This ground has now given me something to go back,” said Rohit, who scored an unbeaten 102 in India’s first innings.
On the race to reach personal milestones between R Ashwin and Umesh Yadav, Rohit said they were not going for milestones but wanted to finish the game as early as possible.
“I think it was just about getting the batsman out and finishing the game off. I think this team has never worried about individual milestones. If it happens on the way, well and good, and if it doesn’t, it doesn’t. There’s another Test match where Umesh can probably get his 100th wicket,” he said.
“However, hat’s off to Ashwin. He’s been, in the last maybe five, six years, one of the match-winners of the team. The way he has performed and the way he’s brought the team back from difficult situations, hats off, and I hope that he continues and wish him all the luck,” Rohit heaped praises on India’s number one spinner.
Rohit felt that Sri Lankans played some shots which they shouldn’t have.
“They played some shots that were not necessary and they should have taken the game till the end. It’s all about creating pressure, bowling at right channels. All four bowlers, who bowled, it seemed like they can get wicket anytime. On a wicket like this, where the pitch is slow where an odd ball is turning and bouncing, there was a bit of reverse swing, you have to stay patient and keep the balls in right channels.”
Rohit said the Indian bowlers have evolved immensely in last couple of years.
“I think they have evolved immensely, the last home season was a great eye opener for all the bowlers. Playing on slow pitches is never easy and then to come out victorious and put on some match-winning performances was really pleasing. The last 13 matches we played in India, I think, there was a huge contribution from the bowling unit as well. Now, when we go and play abroad, the confidence is there,” he said.
The Mumbaikar felt that present bowling unit has come of age and will deliver in foreign lands too.
“They have learned a lot in the last two years of Test match cricket where they have played. When we went to South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and England before, these guys were a little inexperienced and now they have come of age. They exactly know their bowling, which is the most important thing – for any cricketer to know their game,” Rohit added.
On the regrets of not playing as many matches as he could have, Rohit said, “There will always be regrets in your life. Even if you score 10,000 runs, you will feel, “oh, I should have scored 15,000 runs”. Or people will tell you, “you should have scored 15,000 runs, man”. So that’s what it is. That’s what this world is and that’s what we’re living in. But 
for me I’m glad that I’m back on my feet.”

No comments: