Thursday, June 4, 2020

Wheels off the road, pocket empty


International carrom champ Irshad finding it difficult to make ends meet

By Paritosh Pramanik

THE wheels have stopped rolling in March. So did his daily income. Despite conquering the world of carrom at the turn of last year at Pune, Irshad Ahmed, city’s International Carrom Federation Cup champion, is now forced to feed his huge family of 11 members on the generosity shown by his friends from India and world over.
With no job, the talented carrom champion Irshad drives autorickshaw to earn his living. But since the deadly coronavirus took the entire globe in its grip, Irshad has lost his daily income which he used to earn by ferrying commuters.
The lockdown which has been imposed to break the chain of COVID-19 since March has put brakes on Irshad’s earnings.
Irshad might have pocketed many a black and white slam but the lockdown has left his pockets empty, literally.
“I am the eldest among five brothers. My father lost job after Empress Mill was closed. Since then I am taking care of my family. My younger brother Shamshad Ahmed and I drive auto in turns to feed our family. One of my younger brothers used to work at a printing press in Mahal but since it is also closed, he is jobless. I have three kids with the eldest son aged 10. For a few days we managed to somehow survive on my savings. But that evaporated in no time,” Irshad, who lives in Mominpura, told ‘The Hitavada’. 
“Today I am finding it hard to feed my family,” the 37-year-old admitted.
It would have been very difficult for Irshad to arrange two square meals had his carrom-mates from UAE, UK, USA 
and India not helped him financially.
Last December, Irshad defeated Prashant More of Mumbai in a fierce battle to wrest the title. But that rivalry was restricted to the carrom board only. It was More who came forward and financially helped Irshad in this hour of need.
“I am highly indebted to More who helped me financially and also asked a few players from England (Mohammed Ali), UAE (Mohammed Azam) USA (Vishal Kalangutkar) to support me. Even Alimuddin Mulla and Amey Kulkarni (both from Mumbai) helped me and I am grateful to all of them. But I can’t feed my family always on my friends’ help,” he said.
“I know the entire world is suffering due to this pandemic and we should support our government and the frontline warriors at this time. But I think government should help us needy sportspersons in providing jobs. When I won the world title (which is also known as Mini World Cup with 16 nations’ participation) in December, Girish Vyasji (MLC) assured me a job. But till date nothing has happened. Still, I am hopeful,” said Irshad, who has won several state and national level titles, the latest being the state ranking meet in February.
Incidentally, Vyas is Patron of All India Carrom Fededation.
Irshad said it is very taxing while driving and then practising carrom.
“My arms and muscles get stiff after driving autorickshaw whole day. I need to massage them in night so that I can practice. It’s very painful when I sit and practice, my fingers shudder,” Irshad revealed his ordeal.
“My mother stitches clothes but since last three months she is also jobless,” Irshad said with a choked voice. 
What is more painful for Irshad is that none of the Vidarbha Carrom Association officials, whom he represents in National meets, has come forward to help him. “I have won many a medal for them (VCA) but till date not a single official came to meet me leave aside making a courtesy call,” lamented Irshad.
“I think they should help me in getting a decent job,” he added.

Irshad hopes soon he would be back on the driver’s seat, though reluctantly.

No comments: