Wednesday, April 28, 2021

‘Golden Girl’ Alfiya to reunite with family after 180 days

 


 Arriving in city today

 

By Paritosh Pramanik

 

IT WILL be after more than six months, 181 days to be precise, that India’s ‘Golden Girl’ Alfiya Tarrnum Akram Khan Pathan, will be reuniting with her family in Nagpur on Monday.

City’s 18-year-old Alfiya created history by becoming the first boxer from Maharashtra and Nagpur to win an AIBA World Youth Boxing gold medal for India recently in Poland. Alfiya, who landed in New Delhi on Saturday night, will be reaching Nagpur on Monday afternoon.

Alfiya’s father Akram Pathan, who works as Assistant Sub-Inspector at City Police Headquarters, Nagpur, received her at the Delhi airport. Both will be reaching Nagpur by train on Monday noon.

“I am very happy to see my dad after so many days. It’s been around six months since I was away from home. It’s time to reunite now. I am eagerly waiting to meet my mother, brother and other family members,” Alfiya told ‘The Hitavada’ from New Delhi.

Her father Akram was a contented man. It was he who had dropped Alfiya at Rohtak in October and received her today, after six months.

“I am very happy to see my daughter who is more like a friend to me. On October 25, I had left her at Rohtak (SAI Boxing Centre). Since then she has been away from home. We will now spend some quality time at home. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, there won’t be any the celebrations. But reuniting with Alfiya itself is a celebration for us,” said Akram Pathan.

Alfiya recorded three out of three wins to clinch the gold medal for India. She was the seventh Indian pugilist to win the yellow metal for the country.

In the final, Alfiya outpunched Moldova’s Daria Kozorez 5-0 to win the one-sided final.

No comments: