Friday, July 30, 2021

PANDEMIC, UNEMPLOYMENT FORCE WORLD CHAMPION IRSHAD TO QUIT CARROM

 

 


By Paritosh Pramanik

FROM now onwards we won’t be witnessing White Slams or Black Slams from this world champ. International Carrom Federation champion Irshad Ahmed has been ‘forced’ to quit the game on which his livelihood depended.
The coronavirus pandemic, which is continuing to wreak havoc around the globe, has ‘trapped’ Irshad too. With no action since last one and a half year, the jobless Irshad has decided to say good-bye to carrom and use his energy in finding ways to feed his family. Carrom tournaments were his earning source, though it was not a major income. Yet, it was enough for Irshad to feed his family.
Now with financial crisis looming large Irshad had no other option than to quit the game. He occasionally visits carrom clubs but it’s only for leisure.
“It’s all over. I have decided to quit the game. It’s now family first for me. I have had my time. Now it’s the time to concentrate on family. It’s (leaving carrom) painful but there is no other option,” was Irshad’s reply when asked about returning to the board whenever the conditions are favourable.
In 2019 December, city’s Irshad had clinched the International Carrom Federation Cup in Mumbai to hog all the limelight.
Things were going smooth until COVID-19 lockdown in March 2020 turned the world upside down.
Irshad decided to drive autorickshaw to feed his joint family of 12 members. He somehow managed to earn the daily bread but as the lockdown continued, he found it difficult to gather two square meals for his family.
“A few months back, the bank seized my autorickshaw as I was unable to pay the monthly installments,” Irshad revealed.
“With age catching up, I won’t be getting any government job. Above all, my lack of education is the biggest hindrance,” said the 37 years old, who could not complete his matriculation.
At present, Irshad is working as a daily wager as there are no orders for his AC Ducting work.
“I used to do AC Ducting in malls and offices. But as all malls and offices are closed, I am unable to earn livelihood.
“I am daily searching for job. On occasions I work at hosiery shops and stitch inner wears. But that too is not permanent,” Irshad said in a painful voice.
“I don’t want any financial aid from anybody. I am strong enough to feed my family. Last time, I got help from my near and dear ones but now my conscience doesn’t allow me to ‘beg’ in front of people,” Irshad proudly said.
What pains Irshad a lot is lack of support from carrom association officials who have shown their back in the time of need. “Not a single official has helped me till date. They all gave assurance after I won the International Federation Cup but those were only hollow words,” rued Irshad.
“The carrom chapter is over,” he resigned.
The finger artistry with which he scored those Slams is over. Irshad is now preparing to show his other skills with his head held high.

No comments: