Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Olympian Ashok Kumar ‘mesmerised’ by Dhyanchand’s mural at VHA


 

 

By Paritosh Pramanik

OLYMPIAN Ashok Kumar, son of legendary hockey player Major Dhyanchand, was mesmerised with the mural that has been put up beside the gate of Vidarbha Hockey Association ground, Amravati Road.
Corporator Kishor Jichkar was instrumental in constructing the mural beside VHA gate from his corporator’s funds.
Speaking with ‘The Hitavada’ over phone Ashok Kumar said he is very happy that his father’s mural is being erected at Nagpur.
“I have never imagined that a mural of hockey legend Dhyanchand would come up at a place like Nagpur.
“But yes, I would admit that Nagpurians have always showered their love upon us—on Dhyanchand as well as on me. I remember when I was invited to inaugurate a square named after Dhyanchand near hockey ground,” said Ashok Kumar.
“It (the mural) looks so real. I am speechless. I can’t express my gratitude towards Nagpurians and hockey lover Kishor Jichkarji,” Ashok Kumar expressed his views.
The 1972 Munich Olympian said he will ask people at his native Jhansi to construct such murals which looks beautiful, full of life.
“Actually this is a very good idea. I want to construct it at Jhansi as well,” said Ashok Kumar, the 1975 hockey World Cup winner. Ashok Kumar recalled his golden days when he played a few games at Nagpur.
“I have very fond memories of Nagpur. I have played many tournaments here. Not only myself, even Dadda (Dhyanchand) had played and visited Nagpur on many occasions. He too had memories of this beautiful city,” recalled Ashok Kumar.
The three-time world cupper wished to come to Nagpur during the inauguration of the mural.
“I would definitely love to come to Nagpur for the inauguration, time permits.
“It would be great to be part of this historic moment,” said Ashok Kumar who played World Cups in 1971 (Barcelona), 1973 (Amsterdam) and 1975 (Kuala Lumpur).
Speaking further Ashok Kumar said Nagpur has a rich history of hockey and hoped that the game lovers of the region take inspiration from the mural.
“I am well aware of the hockey history of Nagpur. The mural will further inspire kids to take up hockey and even those associated with the game at present to take it to new heights,” said the hockey great who has played three Asian Games winning silver on all the occasions.

No comments: