Wednesday, September 14, 2022

He pedalled 20 kms in Sri Lanka to train for CWG




Shuttler Abeywickrama narrates ordeal during political, economic crisis in Island nation

By Paritosh Pramanik

NAGPUR, Sept 14, 2022

THE economic crisis followed by political upheaval in Sri Lanka has affected one and all and sports was no different. With protests and sky-rocketing prices of almost all commodities, life had been difficult for the commoners in the Island nation. Travel expenses touched the sky and it was difficult to get petrol, diesel. Serpentine queues were seen at petrol pumps with people waiting for days to get the fuel. Narrating harrowing and troublesome days, Sri Lankan shuttler Dumindu Abeywickrama said it was the toughest phase of his life where he had to pedal 20 kms for his badminton training.

The shuttler, who was part of the Sri Lankan team in the recently concluded Birmingham Commonwealth Games, is in the city for the Maha Metro International Badminton Challenge Nagpur 2022.

Drenched in sweat after winning his men’s singles qualifying round match against India’s Munawar Mohammed 21-16, 21-10, Abeywickrama said it was quite a difficult phase when his country was in turmoil. “Those were very difficult days. Now, things are getting normal but the last few months have been very hard. Before the Commonwealth Games, the Government asked us not to venture out of home and restrict training sessions. It was very difficult for all shuttlers as we had very few days left for the Birmingham Games,” narrated Abeywickrama.

“To top that, my Indonesian coach Jeffer Rosobin, too, returned to his country after the crisis. It was very difficult to train. I practised on my own for several days. He still coaches me but we discuss over phone only,” said Abeywickrama.

“I used to go for training at night. At times I had to pedal all the way to my club for practice as there was a shortage of fuel. The training centre was around 10 kms from my home in Colombo. It used to be a 20 kms ride daily,” added Abeywickrama, who lost to Indian ace Kidambi Srikanth in the prequarter-finals in Birmingham CWG.

Srikanth had defeated Abeywickrama 21-9, 21-12 to make quarters.

This was after Abeywickrama had won his opening round match against Samuel Cassar of Malta 21-12, 22-20.

The 19-year-old Sri Lankan said that there was very little help from his Government and he had to manage his own expenses.

“My father is an accountant and my mother is a lawyer. I have to fund all my expenses and hardly get anything from the Government. My maternal uncle, who is a marine engineer, helped me in getting my shoes and racquet before CWG. Badminton is a very expensive sport...my racquet alone costs Rs 60,000,” lamented Abeywickrama.

The final year commerce student feels that his Government is supporting only cricket and cricketers. “They support only cricket and cricketers. They care little for other sports. If all goes well I will shift to India. My father also wants me to shift to India so that I get ample opportunity in badminton here,” mentioned Abeywickrama who ranked No 2 in Sri Lanka.

On his India sojourn and Nagpur International tournament, Abeywickrama said he will take one match at a time. “I have won my first match. I will be playing my second game in the evening and hope to qualify for the main draw first. I just want to give my best in every match. After this tournament I will be playing at Raipur and then the Infosys Open at Karnataka. I hope to do well in India,” Abeywickrama signed off.


No comments: