Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Denied by IOA, Mundras to ‘beg’ for tickets in London

By Paritosh Pramanik

SINCE 1982 Omprakash Mundra and his wife Premlata have travelled across the globe riding on the tremendous love for sports and passion for Indian sportspersons. They have marked presence at various sporting extravaganzas including Olympics, Asian Games and World Cups. Unfortunately, they would not be part of the opening and closing ceremonies of the London Games starting July 27.
A lackadaisical response from Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has denied them tickets for ceremonies and other events in London.
The Nagpur-based steel businessman has now decided to go on his own and ‘beg’ for tickets in front of the stadium, which he has done before during the Athens Games. What is hurting the 61-year-old is the way the IOA “cheated” him.
In January 2011, Mundra requested IOA for tickets. In reply he was asked by the IOA to send a Demand Draft of Rs 2,72,080 for tickets of the opening, closing ceremonies, badminton, basketball, football, gymnastics hockey, swimming and tennis. Mundra sent a demand draft in July 2011 but to his surprise IOA allotted him tickets only for badminton, basketball and hockey.
“When I contacted IOA, they first refused to entertain me but later said there was paucity of tickets. They said, ‘If you want these tickets take them or else we would give them to somebody else’. I had no other option but to take those three event tickets,” a dejected Mundra told ‘The Hitavada’.
“I have booked my flight tickets and also the accommodation in London. Whether IOA gives me tickets or not, I will be travelling to London with my wife to cheer and support my country,” said Mundra.
“I will make placards and stand in front of stadium ‘begging’ for tickets. This I have done during the Athens Games where I was appointed a volunteer.
“Spectators had given me tickets to watch India’s tennis match. I am sure in London too, I would get someone who would help me out,” said Mundra.
The Mundras have served as volunteers in world events like 2004 Athens Olympics, 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, 2006 Qatar Asian Games, 2010 Vancouver Games, 2010 FIFA World Cup held in South Africa and 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games.

No comments: