Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Khandker's goal at Olympics: Meeting with Federer

By Paritosh Pramanik
NAGPUR, July 18

WITH London opening doors of the Games Village stars and megastars have started descending on the venue, which is larger than a hamlet but smaller than a town. The Indian hockey contingent, presently in Spain, too, will occupy their ‘home’ on Friday, brushing shoulders with who’s who of world sports.
Olympics is the only stage where stars could manage to meet the ‘megastars’, their idols, role models and alike.
Like many others, Indian striker Tushar Khandker, too, is looking forward to meet his favourite 17-time Grand Slam champion Switzerland’s Roger Federer at the Village.
Federer, who recently won the 5th Wimbledon title, will be in London for Olympics starting July 27.
“If I get time from my matches, training, and recovery, I will try to meet Roger Federer,” said Khandker, talking exclusively with ‘The Hitavada’ from Spain where the Indian team is playing pre-Games tournament.
The Indian forward, who would be making his debut at Olympics, said with the D-Day approaching there were butterflies in his stomach.
“Yes there are (butterflies) and it is very much true because it will
be my first Olympics. So I’m pretty much excited,” Khandker
admitted.
Games Village remains the talk of the event with views over the facilities, atmosphere, world famous athletes but despite being his first Olympics Khandker is not losing sleep over spending time in the ‘small town’.
“Frankly speaking I don’t have any plan for the Village because I’m going to London to play hockey and not for entertainment,” said the Jhansi-born player.
The camaraderie in the Indian team has been the talking point for some time now and players are gelling well with each other. On long tours like Olympics, where teams leave shores much in advance to get acclimatised to conditions, players share their joys and sorrows with those who are close to them, specially with room-mates.
Khandker does not have any problem in sharing his room at Games with any of his 16 team members. “I don’t know yet who will be my room-mate but I’m OK with everyone. I don’t’ have any problem with anyone,” said Khandker.
Khandker and Shivendra Singh are involved in numerous goal scoring acts but like his pal Shiva, Khandker doesn’t let his emotions flow after scoring a goal.
Asked whether he has any plans of celebrating after scoring a goal, the down-to-earth player said, “I don’t celebrate much so I don’t have any kind of thing like Shiva. I celebrate after winning.”

No comments: