Wednesday, April 6, 2016

From Vidarbha to Ipoh: Akash touches the sky

Former Vidarbha goalkeeper to represent India in Sultan Azlan Shah


By Paritosh Pramanik
NAGPUR, Apr 5, 2016

SOMETIME in mid 2008 a young, lean 15-year-old teenager stepped onto the green lawns of Vidarbha Hockey Association (VHA). With a tattered goal-keeping kit on his shoulders, Akash Chikte enrolled himself for the Under-16 selection trials for the Vidarbha team. A few days later, the team was declared and Chikte, son of welding shop owner Anil and Baby, found his name in the list of 18 for Bhopal nationals. Vidarbha team failed to reach the podium but that tournament changed Akash’s path and a brightened his chances to fulfill his dreams. A dream to don India colours and to be called an Olympian.
Born and brought up at Lohara village in Yavatmal district, one of Akash’s dreams will be fulfilled when the Indian hockey team locks horns with Japan in the Sultan Azlan Shah tournament opener at Ipoh in Malaysia, on Wednesday.
What makes it more challenging for Akash is that he has not yet represented junior India. The selectors, putting faith in his “tremendous skills” directly marked him for the senior team.
“It’s unbelievable. I have never thought in my dreams that I would get direct entry into the senior team,” said Akash while talking with ‘The Hitavada’ from Ipoh, Malaysia.
The lanky Indian custodian played only one national for Vidarbha and then moved to Pune at the ripe age of 15. While honing his skills at Prabodhini, Akash was picked by Bombay Engineering Group (BEG) and now has been promoted as havaldar.
Akash’s journey from Nagpur to Ipoh was steep, if not bumpy. At Bhopal Nationals, he gave excellent performance which gave him a chance to get selected in Krida Prabodhini, Balewadi in Pune.
“That (Bhopal nationals) tournament changed my life. I have no hesitation in attributing my success to Vinod Gavai and his selectors who gave me the chance to represent Vidarbha.” Gavai was VHA secretary in 2008 when Akash was selected for Bhopal nationals.
“I got training from Sagar Thakur sir at BEG. He helped me a lot in my fitness and skill development.
“Hockey Maharashtra secretary Manoj Bhore sir, too, guided and encouraged me. He was like a pillar in my hockey career,” said Akash.
Akash’s journey was not easy, like any other hockey player. He belonged to a family which had to burn the midnight oil to make both ends meet.
“Those days were painful but it taught a lot. My father has a small welding shop. It was really hard to purchase good quality goal-keeping kit. There was only one kit in my school (Sai Vidyalaya). I somehow managed to arrange the kit. Though my parents supported me in building my hockey career, it was very difficult to purchase a costly kit,” recalled Akash.
“Things started to fall in line once I joined Balewadi and then BEG. Now, I am earning and shouldering my father’s burden to some extent,” said Akash, the eldest son of Anil.
It was Akash’s dream to reach the sky. The flight has taken off with his selection in the Indian team. His performance will decide whether he fulfills his second dream, playing at Rio.
“I have been selected in the 25 probables for Rio Olympics Games. My performance in Sultan Azlan Shah will be my ticket to Rio. Hope I get chance to play a few matches here at Ipoh,” Akash signed off as he had to attend his ‘first team meeting’ before the big opener.


No comments: