Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Win against Canada sweeter than Pak: Chikte

By Paritosh Pramanik
NAGPUR, Apr 12, 2016

ANY Indian player would rate the win against Pakistan as the sweetest but not India goalkeeper Akash Chikte. Playing his second international match, that too against arch-rivals Pakistan, Chikte stood tall under the bar as India thrashed the Green Brigade 5-1 in Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament at Ipoh in Malaysia on Tuesday.
After his super performance against Canada a couple of days ago, the Indian think-tank put their faith in Chikte and gave him a chance to play against Pakistan.
The former Vidarbha goal-keeper did well and conceded only one goal in India’s 5-1 win.
“The win against Canada was much sweeter than this (against Pakistan),” said Chikte when asked to compare between the two.
“That was my first international match. I was a bit under pressure but we emerged victors,” he said. “Playing first match and emerging winners gives a soothing feeling,” said Chikte while talking to ‘The Hitavada’ from Malaysia.
India defeated Canada 3-1 and Chikte was introduced in the second quarter after Harjot Singh had conceded a penalty corner for kicking the ball while it was outside the circle. Canada had scored from that corner.
On Tuesday Chikte conceded one goal off a penalty corner conversion which he could have saved.
“I could have saved it. I judged it well but may be I was a bit slow. The ball brushed my stick and entered the goal,” said the lanky keeper who hails from Yavatmal’s Lohara village.
“I have saved same shot in previous (against Canada) match. I thought this too could have been saved,” he added.
Chikte said he, like any other player, too was under pressure while playing against Pakistan.
“Against Pakistan....everybody feels the pressure...so did I. But I have gained a lot of confidence after playing this match,” the BEG player said.
“I have learned how to handle pressure against top teams after this game. Hope I continue my form in future and help India win the title,” Chikte concluded.

No comments: