Friday, June 28, 2024

Gurbani, who helped Vid win Ranji title with a hat-trick, moves to Maharashtra


By Paritosh Pramanik

Vidarbha’s pace bowling sensation, Rajneesh Gurbani, who helped Vidarbha win their maiden Ranji Trophy title with a hat-trick in the 2018 final, has decided to part ways with the team for better future.
Gurbani became the second cricketer from Vidarbha after Mohit Kale to move away from their home team. A couple of days ago, middle-order bat Kale moved to Pondicherry, due to job transfer.
Gurbani has decided to join Maharashtra and got the No Objection Certificate (NOC) from Vidarbha Cricket Association (VCA) on Thursday.
Gurbani posted the news on his social media handle in which he wrote a lengthy thanksgiving letter.
Speaking to ‘The Hitavada’ 31-year-old Gurbani felt he has left enough cricket in him and he still dreams of playing for the country.
“I have been thinking of switching to another team (State) since last one year. This decision was not easy. I pondered over a lot and had discussions with many on this. But in the end I thought that if I have to dream of playing for India I will have to play more and take wickets. With Vidarbha, I played only seven matches in the last three years. It was frustrating,” said Gurbani, who has also played Deodhar Trophy and has taken six wickets.
“To fulfil my dream I will have to take wickets and to take wickets I will have to play as many matches as I can. When the opportunity (to play for Maharashtra) came, I decided to move. Actually, we, the players of Vidarbha, are emotionally attached with the State team. We don’t want to leave the State. But for better prospects I decided to leave one of the best teams,” added Gurbani, who made his Vidarbha debut in 2016–17 Ranji Trophy season.
The lanky right-hand pacer was candid in saying that it was frustrating sitting out of the team. “I played only seven matches in the last three years for Vidarbha and out of that we won four (Ranji) outright. But somehow I was not getting the opportunities. Later, I was not even picked in the team of 17. It was frustrating,” revealed Gurbani, who took the hat-trick in the Ranji final in Indore against Delhi.
On his best moment with Vidarbha team, Gurbani said the last wicket of Karnataka in the final (2018) was memorable. “Karnataka needed some five odd runs and I was bowling and took the last wicket, caught in gully by Apoorva Wankhade was one of the most memorable moments for me till date,” narrated Gurbani who has 111 First Class wickets under his belt which included seven five-fors and one 10-wicket haul.
In that match, Gurbani took twelve wickets including career-best figures of 7-68 in the second innings.
Gurbani was the highest-wicket taker for Vidarbha in the 2017-18 Ranji Trophy season, with 39 dismissals from six matches.
The medium-pacer also played Duleep Trophy (India Red) in 2018. In the opening match, he snared seven wickets for 81 runs, and was named the man of the match.
Gurbani has also played the Deodhar Trophy (India C) in the 2018-19 season.

______________

 

Gurbani’s post on Instagram

 

I write this with utmost gratitude towards VCA for giving me the opportunity to serve them as a cricketer for the past over 9 years. Having won the Ranji Trophy and Irani Trophy titles for Vidarbha twice, taking a hat-trick for VCA in the Ranji Trophy final and being a member of this amazing team has been the best memory till date.
However, today with immense humility and a heavy heart, I have decided to part ways with Vidarbha Cricket Association keeping in mind my personal growth and other great opportunities coming my way.
I feel there is a lot of cricket left in me and my services can be better utilised by other teams around the country.
Playing and sharing the dressing room with legends of the game- Faiz Fazal, Wasim Jaffar Sir and Umesh Yadav has been very special for me. I have learnt a lot under their guidance, and their hard work and dedication has always inspired me a lot. I would also like to thank the entire VCA team members who are also my dear friends for always believing in me and having a positive and friendly environment on and off the field.
Grateful to VCA management for all the support given and I hope our paths cross again in future! Until then, signing off. All the best for the upcoming season.

No comments: